Flight to NYC

October 22, 2008

This past flight to New York fortunately involved no running.  Unfortunately, however, it did involve a lot of sitting.  It was a long day, so this post will be separated by headings.

The Car
Remember Max getting hit in the driveway the other week?  Well, the day before I was to leave for New York, I dropped him off at the body shop and they gave me a rental car, which I was to return to the airport the next morning at the crack of dawn to catch my flight out.  The next morning, I left in plenty of time to get a little gas and make it comfortably to the airport.  To make a very long story short, while at the gas station, somehow the car locked the doors on me. I didn’t push any buttons (not even an accidental brush as the door lock button was nowhere within reach) and of course, the keys were in the ignition.  After 45 minutes of waiting on the pop-a-lock guy, I was on my way to the airport to miss my flight.  When I turned the car in, I let the rental car guy know what had happened and he said, “Oh yeah. We have that problem all the time with this car.”  Note to self: don’t drive a PT Cruiser ever again.

The Bag
At the counter, I was put on stand by and I put my bag to be checked in.  Well, it was 53 pounds.  The agent checking me in didn’t notice or didn’t care, so I thought I was scott free.  As I was about to take my bag to be screened, some Southwest employee with nothing to do showed up and said, “Um, that bag is over the limit.” I looked at her and said, “I’ve flown Southwest my entire life and on the rare occasion my bag is over by 2 or 3 pounds, the agent doesn’t hassle me about it.” Apparently, she didn’t want to hear that and retorted, “Well, I’ve worked in baggage for years, and that simply is not the case. You need to take something out.”  I felt like saying, “Um, wench? Don’t you have a bag downstairs to load onto a baggage claim?” But I didn’t.  The bag god had always smiled on me in the past, so I figured my time was due. I accepted that the day was going to continue to conspire against me, so I took some stuff out and went on my merry way.

The Flights
After waiting 2 hours for the next flight, I board and take the 1 1/2 hour flight to in Baltimore with no incident. Perhaps my day was turning better.  Despite my 3 1/2 hour layover, I was in good spirits.  About an hour before my flight I went up to the gate agent to let her know that I was flying stand by and asked if she needed anything from me.  After being assured my name would be called 20 minutes or so before the flight, I returned to my book.  Awhile later,  I noticed that all passengers had boarded, there was a line at the agent’s desk and my name had not been called.  So I venture forward to question as to my status. After looking at me as if she’d never seen me before, I was informed there were no seats left.  No seats?! I’d been assured in Nashville that I would not have trouble getting on any of these flights!  Then she looked at me and said as though she’d been hit with total genius, “Wait a minute. You’re a woman” Um yeah.  I check around to make sure that all the men around me concur before turning my gaze back to the astonished woman.  “I don’t have a woman on the standby list. What’s your name?”  I had been on the standby list since 8:30 that morning and informed her of this fact. She somehow “squeezed” me to the top of a list that she said didn’t matter because I wouldn’t be on the flight anyway.  Again, I accepted my travel fate for the day.

But then fate decided to smile upon me.  I was told there were indeed 2 seats available and that me and one other gentleman were the lucky winners.  We board the plane and are told there are 2 seats in the back, so continuously scanning, we get to the back to find that there are indeed no empty seats and we hadn’t seen any on the way back.  So we turn around and start the trek back to the front assuming we’d been misled and would indeed have to take a later flight.  When all hope seemed lost, the gentleman said, “Oh, look. There’s a seat…um, you take it.” I was touched by this man’s generosity.  He had known my plight, and was willing to give up a seat to me.

Fate lied.  I thought it had smiled, but indeed it was laughing at me and pointing it’s finger.  For there was a reason we had not seen that seat.  It was almost completely covered by a man weighing in the 350 pound range.  Trying to conceal the look of, “How the #%&$ am I supposed to fit in there?” I smiled, put my bag up above and the nice, large man got up and let me in.  When he sat down, I was immediately pushed half way onto the man next to me, who, though was slim, was at least 6’2″.  I gave an apologetic smile.  The large gentleman was apparently very warm, for the left side of my body was soon covered in his sweat.  I had to go to the bathroom because I hadn’t gone in the terminal since I was waiting on my name to be gone and I feared that any sudden movements by my neighbor just might send the flight of course into the sea, so I decided to hold it. I pulled out my book, and with about a foot and a half of space between the shoulders of these two men, I scrunch myself as small and I can.  It’s only 50 minutes. How much worse could it get?

The guy in front of me laid his seat all the way back.

I couldn’t move.  I was completely trapped.  It was at that point that I think I lost it and just began to laugh hysterically.  I tried to make it look like my book was really funny, but  the title “Basic Economics” proved otherwise.

I eventually made it to NYC and fortunately with no further incident. I am here. I am singing. And I am happy.  More to come!


2 Responses to “Flight to NYC”

  1. Rob Reynolds Says:


    I’m Rob Reynolds the director of operations for Pop-A-Lock. It sounds like you had a terrible day! Sorry we took 45 minutes to get there but I’m glad we were able to help you get on your way.

    I hope the rest of the month is better for you.

    Please visit: http://www.popalock.com for more info about Pop-A-Lock and our community programs.


  2. BeckStein Says:

    lol…you and your crazy travel luck…I’m glad you made it to us safely.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s